The University of Virginia Health System is a participating member of the National Resident Matching Program. All applicants for first-year residency appointments at UVA must register with the NRMP, and all applications must be submitted via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Hard-copy applications via regular mail or fax will not be accepted.
The deadline for applications for entry in summer 2019 is November 15, 2018.
Estimated timeline for application review:
First pass reviews of applications occur between September 15th and October 1st, when the MSPE is released from medical schools to programs. There will be a first wave of invitations to interview during this time on a rolling basis.
Following MSPE reviews, there will be a second wave of invitations to interview issued in mid-October. We do not invite more applicants than we have space in our scheduling platform, Interview Broker.
By mid-late October, we will notify applicants if they are accepted to our waitlist. Due to the trend of increasing numbers of applications from students, we are unable to offer initial invitations to all qualified applicants who we think would be competitive to match and to succeed in the program. Applicants accepted to our waitlist will be able to schedule interviews through Interview Broker as we have cancellations develop and such applicants generally have no difficulty being able to have their choice of multiple interview dates. Applicants from our waitlist are clearly individuals we feel are competitive to match with the program in any given year.
A completed application includes:
- ERAS application form
- Medical school dean’s letter (MSPE)
- Department of Medicine letter (typically from the department chair or clerkship director)
- At least two other letters of recommendation from faculty members (thus a total of three letters including Department letter)
- Personal statement
- Medical school transcript
- Step 1 completed on the first attempt; no failed attempts on any portion of the USMLE. Both parts of Step 2 must be passed by the first day of orientation.
- For international medical graduates, valid ECFMG certification prior to appointment. We support only J-1 visas.
Preferred qualifications for applicants to the UVA Internal Medicine Residency Program:
- A score of 200 or higher on USMLE Step 1
- Graduation from a U.S. allopathic medical school within the past five years
- At least one year of formally supervised clinical experience in the U.S.
Applications will not be reviewed in ERAS until they are complete. Upon review, interviews will be granted by e-mail notification. Interviews are conducted from late October through January on most Mondays and Thursdays.
Interview dates for 2018-19 are: October 22, 29; November 1, 5, 8, 12, 15, 19, 26, and 29; December 3, 6, 10, 13, 17; January 7, 10, 14
If you have any questions about the application process or the status of your application, please call the Internal Medicine Residency Program at 434-322-0705.
ABIM Research Pathway
For information about this track, please see the description on our training tracks page.
If you need additional information, please contact the Internal Medicine Residency Program at 434-322-0705, or at the following address:
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Internal Medicine Residency Recruitment Office
PO Box 800696
University of Virginia Health System
Charlottesville, VA 22908