The University of Virginia Health System is a participating member of the National Resident Matching Program. All applicants for first-year residency appointments at UVA must register with the NRMP, and all applications must be submitted via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Hard-copy applications via regular mail or fax will not be accepted; supplemental information outside of ERAS (unless requested by the residency program) will not be considered.
The deadline for applications for entry in June 2021 is November 15, 2020.
Click here to find out more about GME at UVA.
Click here for some fantastic videos from our GME office including ones about the importance of diversity and inclusion at UVA and some of what UVA’s best and brightest have been doing to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
In this unique application season delayed by the COVID19 pandemic, we plan to begin reviewing applications immediately after ERAS opens on October 21, 2020. We will be offering virtual interviews for all applicants. Currently, we are developing this process as well as the specific interview schedule for the 20-21 season. Typical interview days are Mondays and Thursdays beginning in early November until mid January.
- ERAS application form
- Medical school dean’s letter (MSPE)
- Department of Medicine letter (typically from the department chair, clerkship director, or vice chair of education) for categorical and primary care track applicants; a clinical letter of recommendation from an Internal Medicine faculty physician can be substituted for preliminary track applicants
- 1-3 additional letters of recommendation. Given the disruptive impact of the COVID19 pandemic, for application year 2020-2021, we are only requiring a minimum of one other clinical letter of recommendation from a faculty physician (thus, a minimum total of two letters including the Department letter)
- Personal statement
- Medical school transcript
- Step 1 passed on the first attempt. Step 2 CK must be passed by February 2021.
- For international medical graduates, valid ECFMG certification prior to appointment. We support only J-1 visas.
Applicants eligible for appointment must graduate from a medical school in the United States or Canada, accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or from a college of osteopathic medicine in the United States, accredited by the American Osteopathic Association Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOACOCA). Outside of the United States or Canada, applicants must hold a currently valid certificate from the ECFMG prior to appointment. Graduation from medical school should be within the last five years prior to starting residency and US clinical experience of at least 1 year is recommended.
An online interview is required to be considered for the program. Scheduling and re-scheduling of interviews will be conducted through an online platform.
Applications will not be reviewed in ERAS until they are complete. Upon review, interviews will be granted by e-mail notification.
If you have any questions about the application process or the status of your application, please call the Internal Medicine Residency Program at 434-322-0705.
For information about this track, please see the description on our training tracks page.
If you need additional information, please contact the Internal Medicine Residency Program at 434-322-0705, or at the following address:
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Internal Medicine Residency Recruitment Office
PO Box 800696
University of Virginia Health System
Charlottesville, VA 22908