The University of Virginia’s Department of Pathology had a strong showing at the 2019 Annual Meeting of the College of American Pathologists, with medical students, residents, fellows, and attendings presenting a total of 14 posters on topics ranging from global health work in Guatemala to immunotherapeutic biomarkers to tick-born red meat allergy testing. In a notable highlight, Dr. Joe Coppock was awarded the First Place Junior Member Abstract Award for his research on expression of the immunotherapeutic target indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase in head and neck cancers. CAP representative Dr. Bre David reported that the Residents’ Forum had a productive discussion on political advocacy, resident financial well-being, and how to best recruit medical students into the field of pathology. Associate professor Dr. Jim Harrison ran a successful short course on machine learning as well as an overview of artificial intelligence in pathology for the joint meeting with the American College of Radiology, the Association for Pathology Informatics, and the Digital Pathology Association. CAP House of Delegates Representative Dr. Anne Mills engaged with colleagues on the CAP’s efforts advocating for anti-surprise billing legislation that protects our patients and our profession.
Several UVA folks also attended the “Evening an Epcot” benefit event for the CAP Foundation, which is dedicated to philanthropic efforts such as providing cancer screening for low-income women across the country. Overall, it was a fantastic meeting and we look forward to sending more members of UVA Pathology again next year! Meeting photos by Dr. Mick Crawford.
2019 CAP Poster Presentations from UVA:
- Establishing a Resident-Driven Clinical Elective and Diagnostic Consultative Service in a Low-Resource Setting of Quetzaltenango, Guatemala. Anna C. Dusenbery, MD; Joseph D. Coppock, MD, PhD; Ashley K. Volaric, MD; Sara Zadeh, MD ; Henry F. Frierson, MD; Boanerges Rodas, MD
- Congenital Mesoblastic Nephroma: An Unusual Presentation of a Typically Uncomplicated Congenital Malignancy. Brett Kurpiel, BA; Lena Young, DO; Elisheva Shanes, MD; Robin LeGallo, MD
- Cellular Angiofibroma in a Patient with Multiple Spindle Cell Lipomas. Lena Young, DO; Jonathan Davick, MD; Robin LeGallo, MD ; Vickie Jo, MD; Edward Stelow, MD
- Pleomorphic Adenoma of the Breast: A Potential Morphologic and Molecular Pitfall. Margaret Moore, MD; Elisheva Shanes, MD; Patrick Dillon, MD; Kristen Atkins, MD; Anne Mills, MD
- S100 and SOX10 Expression by Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: A Potential Pitfall. Jacob Curley, DO; Kristen Atkins, MD; Anne M. Mills, MD
- Mismatch Repair Deficiency Rate in Uterine Carcinosarcoma: A 2-Institution Retrospective Review. Taylor M. Jenkins, MD; Lauren E. Schwartz, MD; Anne M. Mills, MD
- LAG-3 and PD-L1: Potential Targets for Combination Immunotherapy in High-Grade Serous Ovarian Carcinoma. Rachel Whitehair, MD; Lauren C. Peres, PhD; Anne Mills, MD
- An Unusual Cervical Smooth Muscle Tumor with Rhabdoid Morphology and Perinucleolar Haloes. Lena Young, DO; Helen Cathro, MBChB, MPH
- Amyloid-Producing MALT Lymphoma with Tonsillar and Cervical Lymph Node Involvement: A Clinical Mimicker of Oropharyngeal Squamous Cancer. Sara L. Zadeh, MD (email@example.com); Ashley K. Volaric, MD; Anne M. Mills, MD; Henry F. Frierson, MD; Nadine S. Aguilera, MD.
- Idoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase Expression in High-Risk Human Papillomavirus-Positive and Negative Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinomas. Joseph D. Coppock, MD, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org); Anne M. Mills, MD; Edward B. Stelow, MD
- Uterine Sarcoid-like Granulomatous Reaction in Association with Combination Ipilimumab and Nivolumab Therapy. Akriti Gupta, MBBS, MD; Elisheva Shanes, MD; Kathie L. Hullfish, MD; Linda R. Duska, MD; Helen P. Cathro, MBChB
- The Impact of Beaker on College of American Pathologists Electronic Cancer Checklist Compliance. Michael P. Crawford, MD; Anne M. Mills, MD.
- Laboratory Considerations in the Diagnosis of Tick-Associated Meat Allergy: The Effect of Interferants on IgE a-Gal Results. Jennifer Ju, MD; Barbara Murphy; Walter Oliveira; Lidong He, PhD; Joesph Wiencek, PhD
- Streamlined Software for Community Biorepositories. James Harrison, MD, PhD; Jeffrey Pitts, MS; Robert Pates, PhD