Dr. McMurry is a biostatistician who received his Ph.D. in mathematics from University of California, San Diego. His work now focuses on surgical outcomes, the statistics of biomechanical injury, and the development of nonparametric statistical methods, including bootstrap and smoothing procedures. He has experience with SEER-Medicare, the National Cancer Database, and the NASS-CDS and CIREN automotive crash databases. In addition Dr. McMurry teaches the biostatistics sequence for the Department of Public Health Science’s Master’s programs.
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
P.O. Box 800717
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0717
Old Med School, Room 3875
Statistics of biomechanical injury, surgical outcomes, nonparametric statistics, statistical consulting.
PHS 7000, Biostatistics I
PHS 7001, Biostatistics II
T. McMurry, D. Politis. iosmooth: Functions for smoothing with infinite order flat-top kernels. R package version 0.94, 2017.
- J. Platts-Mills, J. Liu, E. Rogawski, F. Kabir, P. Lertsethtakarn, M. Siguas, S. Khan, I. Praharaj, A. Murei, R. Nshama, B. Mujaga, A. Havt, I. Maciel, T. McMurry, D. Operario, M. Taniuchi, J. Gratz, S. Stroup, J. Roberts, A. Kalam, F. Aziz, S. Qureshi, O. Islam, P. Sakpaisal, S. Silapong, P. Yori, R. Rajendiran, B. Benny, M. McGrath, B.McCormick, J. Seidman, D. Lang, M. Gottlieb, R. Guerrant, A. Lima, J. Leite, A. Samie, P. Bessong, N. Page, L. Bodhidatta, C, Mason, S. Shrestha, I. Kiwelu, E. Mduma, N. Iqbal, Z. Bhutta, T. Ahmed, R. Haque, G. Kang, M. Kosek, E. Houpt, and the MAL-ED Network Investigators. Aetiology, burden and clinical characteristics of diarrhoea in children in low-resource settings using quantitative molecular diagnostics: results from the MAL-ED cohort study. To appear in Lancet Global Health.
- T. McMurry, G. Stukenborg, L. Kessler, G. Colditz, M. Wong, A. Francescatti, D. Jones, J. Schumacher, C. Greenberg, G. Chang, D. Winchester, D. McKellar, B. Kozower. More frequent surveillance following lung cancer resection is not associated with improved survival: A nationally representative cohort study. To appear in Annals of Surgery.
- R. Richardson, T. McMurry, B. Gepner, J. Kerrigan. Field data analysis of recreational off-highway vehicle crashes. To appear in Traffic Injury Prevention.
- M. Subramanian, T. McMurry, B. Meyers, V. Puri, B. Kozower. Long-term results for clinical stage 1A lung cancer–comparing lobectomy and sublobar resection. To appear in Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- T. McMurry, G. Poplin, G. Shaw, M. Panzer. Crash safety concerns for out-of-position occupant postures: a look towards safety in highly automated vehicles. To appear in Traffic Injury Prevention.
- D. LaPar, R. Hawkins, T. McMurry, J. Isbell, J. Rich, A. Speir, M Quader, I. Kron, J. Kern, G. Ailawadi. Preoperative anemia versus blood transfusion: which is the culprit for worse outcomes in cardiac surgery? To appear in Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- T. McMurry, D. Politis. Estimating MA parameters through factorization of the autocovariance matrix and an MA-sieve bootstrap. Journal of Time Series Analysis, 39:433-446, 2018.
- J. Liao, J. Cavanaugh, T. McMurry. Extending AIC to best subset regression. To appear in Computational Statistics.
- T. McMurry, K. Arbogast, C. Sherwood, F. Vaca, M. Bull, J. Crandall, R. Kent. Rear-facing versus forward-facing child restraints: an updated assessment. Injury Prevention, 24:55-59, 2018.
- T. Hassinger, F. Turrentine, R. Thiele, B. Sarosiek, T. McMurry, C. Friel, T. Hedrick. Acute kidney injury in the age of enhanced recovery protocols. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, 61(8):946-954, 2018.
- R. Hawkins, J. Mehaffey, T. McMurry, M. Mullen, E. Charles, J. Kirby, S. Malin, B. Schirmer, P. Hallowell. Clinical significance of failure to lose weight 10 years after roux-en-y gastric bypass. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 13(10):1710-1716, 2017.
- D. Operario, J. Platts-Mills, S. Nadan, N. Page, M. Seher, J. Mphahlele, I. Praharaj, G. Kang, I. Araujo, J. Leite, D. Cowley, S. Thomas, C. Kirkwood, F. Dennis, G. Armah, J. Mwenda, P. Wijesinghe, G. Rey, V. Grabovac, C. Berejena, C. Simwaka, J. Uwimana, J. Sherchand, H. Thu, G. Galagoda, I. Bonkoungou, S. Jagne, E. Tsolenyanu, A. Diop, C. Enweronu-Laryea, S. Borbor, J. Liu, T. McMurry, B. Lopman, U. Parashar, J. Gentsch, A. Steele, A. Cohen, F. Serhan, and E. Houpt. Etiology of severe acute watery diarrhea in children in the global rotavirus surveillance network using quantitative polymerase chain reaction. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 216:220-227, 2017.
- J. Platts-Mills, C. Amour, J. Gratz, R. Nshama, T. Walongo, B. Mujaga, A. Maro, T. McMurry, J. Liu, E. Mduma, E. Houpt. Impact of rotavirus vaccine introduction and post-introduction etiology of diarrhea requiring hospital admission in Haydom, Tanzania, a rural African setting. Clinical Infectious Disease, 65(7):1144-1151, 2017.
- G. Poplin, T. McMurry, J. Forman, T. Hartka, J. Ash, D. Parent, M. Craig, E. Song, R. Kent, G. Shaw, J. Crandall. Development of thoracic injury risk functions for the THOR ATD. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 106:122-130, 2017.
- T. McMurry, P. Shah, P. Samson, C. Robinson, B. Kozower. Treatment of stage I non-small cell lung cancer: What’s trending? Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 154(3):1080-1087, 2017.
- J. Stringham, J. Phillips, T. McMurry, D. Lambert, D. Jones, J. Isbell, C. Lau, B. Kozower. Prospective study of giant paraesophageal hernia repair with 1 year follow-up. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 154(2), 743-751, 2017.
- G. Shaw, D. Lessley, J. Ash, J. Poplin, T. McMurry, M. Sochor, J. Crandall. Small female ribcage fracture in frontal sled tests. Traffic Injury Prevention., 18(1):77-82, 2017.
- M. Wong, T. McMurry, G. Stukenborg, A. Francescatti, C. Amato-Martz, J. Schumacher, G. Chang, C. Greenberg, D. Winchester, D. McKellar, L. Walter, B. Kozower. Impact of age and comorbidity on treatment of non-small cell lung cancer recurrence following resection: A special study of the National Cancer Data Base. Lung Cancer, 102:108-117, 2016.
- K. Ikeda, G. Smith, J. Renehan, J. Isbell, T. McMurry, M. Rosner, R. Thiele. Multiparameter predictor of fluid responsiveness in cardiac surgical patients receiving tidal volumes less than 10 mL/kg. Seminars in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, 20(3):188-196, 2016.
- J. Liu, J. Platts-Mills, J. Juma, F. Kabir, J. Nkeze, C. Okoi, D. Operario, et al. Aetiology of childhood diarrhoea using quantitative diagnostics: a re-analysis of the GEMS case-control study. The Lancet, 388:1291-1301, 2016.
- T. McMurry, G. Poplin, J. Crandall. Functional recovery patterns in seriously injured automotive crash victims. Traffic Injury Prevention, 17(S1), 21-26, 2016.
- S. Chapman-Smith, P. Govindarajan, M. Padrick, J. Lippman, T. McMurry, B. Resler, et al. A low-cost, tablet-based option for prehospital neurological assessment: the iTREAT Study. Neurology, 87(1):19-26, 2016.
- M. Huerter, E. Charles, Y. Hu, T. McMurry, C. Lau, J. Isbell, B. Kozower. Enteral access is not required for esophageal cancer patients undergoing neoadjuvant therapy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 102(3):948-954, 2016.
- R. Blank, D. Colquhoun, M. Durieux, B. Kozower, T. McMurry, S. Bender, B. Naik. Management of one lung ventilation; impact of tidal volume and ventilator driving pressure on complications after thoracic surgery. Anesthesiology, 124(6): 1286-1295, 2016.
- T. McMurry, D. Bose, S. Ridella, A. Eigen, J. Crandall, J. Kerrigan. Epidemiology of moderate-to-severe injury patterns observed in rollover crashes. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 90:36-40, 2016.
- B. Naik, E. Nemergut, L. Fernandez, A. Kazemi, S. Cederholm, T. McMurry, M. Durieux. Effect of dexmedetomidine on postoperative opioid consumption and pain after major spine surgery. Anesthesia & Analgesia, 122(5):1646-1653, 2016.
- Y. Hu, H. Warren, T. McMurry, R. Goodrich, J. Choi, A. Mahmutovic, H. Kim, S. Rasmussen. Cumulative sum: An individualized proficiency metric for laparoscopic fundamentals. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 51(4):598-602, 2016.
- J. Lippman, S. Chapman-Smith, T. McMurry, Z. Sutton, B. Gunnell, J. Cote, D. Perina, D. Cattell-Gordon, K. Rheuban, N. Solensik, B. Worrall, A. Southerland. Mobile telestroke during ambulance transport is feasible in a rural EMS setting: the iTREAT Study. Telemedicine and e-Health, 22(6):507-513, 2016.
- A. Ash, J. Ash, T. McMurry, A. Schwenk, B. Tenner. A balanced diplomacy tournament. Journal of Combinatorial Mathematics and Combinatorial Computing, 96:245-264, 2016.
- Y. Hu, T. McMurry, G. Stukenborg, B. Kozower. Readmission predicts 90-day mortality following esophagectomy: Analysis of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Registry linked to Medicare outcomes. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 150(5):1254-1260, 2015.
- V. Zaydfudim, T. McMurry, A. Harrigan, C. Friel, G. Stukenborg, T. Bauer, R. Adams, T. Hedrick. Improving treatment and survival: a population-based study of current outcomes after a hepatic resection in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. HPB, 17(11):1019-1024, 2015.
- T. McMurry, C. Sherwood, G. Poplin, M. Seguí-Gómez, J. Crandall. Implications of functional capacity loss and fatality for vehicle safety prioritization. Traffic Injury Prevention, 16sup2:S140-S145, 2015.
- A. Bailey, T. McMurry, G. Poplin, R. Salazar, J. Crandall. Survival model for foot and leg high rate axial impact injury data. Traffic Injury Prevention, 16sup2:S96-S102, 2015.
- J. Ivarsson, G. Poplin, T. McMurry, J. Crandall, and J. Kerrigan, Occupant injury in rollover crashes – contribution of planar impacts with objects and other vehicles. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 85:111–117, 2015.
- T. McMurry, Y. Hu, E. Blackstone, B. Kozower. Propensity scores: methods, considerations, and applications in the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 40(1):14–19, 2015.
- M. Meyer, T. McMurry, D. Politis. Baxter’s inequality for triangular arrays. Mathematical Methods of Statistics, 24(2):135–146, 2015.
- L. Archbald-Pannone, T. McMurry, C. Warren, R. Guerrant. Delirium and other clinical factors with Clostridium difficile infection that predict mortality in hospitalized patients. American Journal of Infection Control, 47(7):690-693, 2015.
- J. Teng, T. Halbert, T. McMurry, P. Levine, J. Christophel. Histopathologic margin distance in survival in resection of cutaneous melanoma of the head and neck. The Laryngoscope 125(8):1856-1860, 2015.
- F. Hauck, K. Tanabe, T. McMurry, R. Moon. Evaluation of Bedtime Basics for Babies: a national crib distribution program to reduce the risk of sleep-related sudden infant deaths. Journal of Community Health, 40:457–463, 2015.
- R. Thiele, K. Rea , F. Turrentine, C. Friel, T. Hassinger, B. Goudreau, B. Umapathi, I. Kron, R. Sawyer, T. Hedrick, T. McMurry. Standardization of care: impact of an enhanced recovery protocol on length of stay, complications, and direct costs after colorectal surgery. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 220(4):443–445, 2015.
- T. McMurry, D. Politis. High-dimensional autocovariance matrices and optimal linear prediction (with discussion). Electronic Journal of Statistics, 9:753–822, 2015. (preprint)
- T. McMurry, G. Poplin. Statistical considerations in the development of injury risk functions. Traffic Injury Prevention, 16(6):618-626, 2015.
- G. Poplin, T. McMurry, J. Forman, T. Hartka, G. Park, G. Shaw, J. Shin, H. Kim, and J. Crandall. Nature and etiology of hollow-organ abdominal injuries in frontal crashes. Accident Analysis and Prevention 78:51-57, 2015.
- Y. Hu, T. McMurry, J. Isbell, G. Stukenborg, B. Kozower. Readmission following lung cancer resection is associated with a six-fold increase in 90-day postoperative mortality. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 148(5):2261-2267.e1, 2014.
- L. Pastore, T. McMurry, C. Williams, V. Baker, S.Young. AMH in women with diminished ovarian reserve: potential differences by FMR1 CGG repeat level. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, 31(10):1295-1301, 2014.
- D. Walters, T. McMurry, J. Isbell, G. Stukenborg, B. Kozower. Understanding mortality as a quality indicator following esophagectomy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 98:506-512, 2014.
- S. Chapman, P. Mehndiratta, M. Johansen , T. McMurry, K. Johnston, A. Southerland. Current perspectives on the use of intravenous recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) for treatment of acute ischemic stroke. Vascular Health and Risk Management, 10:75-87, 2014.
- B. Naik, D. Colquhoun, W. McKinney, A. Smith, B. Titus, T. McMurry, J. Raphael, M. Durieux. Incidence and risk factors for acute kidney injury after spine surgery using the RIFLE classification. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, 20(5):505-511, 2014.
- Y. Hu, T. McMurry, K. Wells, J. Isbell, G. Stukenborg, B. Kozower. Postoperative mortality is an inadequate quality indicator for lung cancer resection. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 97(3):973-979, 2014.
- G. Politis, S. Stemland, R. Balireddy, J. Brockhaus, K. Hughes, M. Goins, T. McMurry. Propofol for pediatric tracheal intubation with deep anesthesia during sevoflurane induction: dosing according to elapsed time for two age groups. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia, 26(1):25-35, 2014.
- J. Liao, T. McMurry, A. Berg. Prior robust empirical Bayes inference for large scale data by conditioning on rank with application to microarray data. Biostatistics, 15(1):60-73, 2014.
- D. Colquhoun, L. Dunn, T. McMurry, R. Thiele. The relationship between the area of peripherally-derived pressure volume loops and systemic vascular resistance. Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, 27(6):689-696, 2013.
- J. Christophel, A. Johnson, T. McMurry, S. Park, P. Levine. Predicting positive margins in resection of cutaneous melanoma of the head and neck. The Laryngoscope, 123(3):683-688, 2013.
- T. McMurry, D. Politis, J. Romano. Subsampling inference with K populations and a nonstandard Behrens-Fisher problem. International Statistical Review, 80(1):149-175, 2012.
- M. Amezziane, T. McMurry. Bandwidth selection for adaptive density estimators. Journal of Applied Probability and Statistics, 6(1-2):29-46, 2012.
- A. Berg, T. McMurry, D. Politis, Testing time series linearity: traditional and bootstrap methods. Invited chapter for Handbook of Statistics, Volume 30: Time Series Analysis, (T. Subba Rao et al., Eds.), Elsevier, North Holland, 2012.
Filed Under: Faculty