Get into WordPress — Project Plan
Migration of School of Medicine websites from Plone to WordPress
Prepared by Ray Nedzel, Webmaster, U.Va. School of Medicine, (updated May 11, 2015)
- Stand up two LAMP Servers (prod and dev) with ITS including virtual hosts, Pubcookie/Netbadge protection and SSL.
- Install and test WordPress instances as follows:
- Multi-Network/Multi-Site WordPress instance (production)
- Multi-Network/Multi-Site WordPress instance (development)
- Multi-site instance for internal resources (Netbadge protected)
- Create scalable, flexible WordPress Responsive Theme Framework for Basic Science Departments, Education, Administration, and Research based on the design for BIMS by Convoy.
- Create custom WordPress plugins including:
- Universal SOM top bar navigation with sitewide “Mega Menus”
- Custom Search including in-page integration of UVA People Search and Google Search/WordPress search from a single query
- Custom Footer settings for departmental information
- With WDC coordinate manual and automatic replication of SOM Mega Menus.
- Build the RFD in WordPress, integrating data from Curvita in nightly batch process.
- Build responsive Newsletter WordPress theme.
- Rollout first two news sites with static HTML newsletters (Medicine Matters and Kids Matter).
- Rollout first newsletter site with automated RSS-driven MailChimp newsletter integration (Office of the Dean).
- Work with UPG and SOM Finance to create and launch online Budget website to assist department administrators implement Clarity, including access-protected, embedded instructional videos hosted on Vimeo.
- Completed 7 site migrations by End of Year with 1 additional site in development.
- Build Clinical Research site out from scratch in new WordPress responsive theme.
- Launch NEW Research Faculty Directory in WordPress including webservices via RSS and JSON for use by external site developers.
- Build custom WordPress plugin allowing WordPress department sites to include RFD data within their web sites.
- Build Pharmacology as the first domain-level department, allowing for quick creation sub-sites and labs within the department navigational scheme.
- Completed 13 additional site migrations by End of the Year with 19 additional sites in development.
2015 – Q1
- Finish migrating Basic Science Departments Currently in Plone.
- Build new CentOS Virtual ITS Server for better permissions granting and security via Shibboleth.
- Build New Homepage for testing.
- Build responsive WordPress theme based on UVA Health look and feel for Clinical Departments.
2015 – Q2
- Education sites moved to WordPress.
- Surgery, Medicine, and Pediatrics — begin/test moving Clinical Departments.
- Post and Hire Content Coordinators.
2015 – Q3
- Migrate Administration and Research Areas of the site to WordPress.
- Post and Hire Social Media Coordinator.
- Revise content strategy, put on quarter by quarter calendar
- Roll out new NEWS site, and new SOM HomePage.
2015 – Q4
- Finish the Migration into WordPress.