Regional Anesthesia Fellowship
The Department of Anesthesiology offers two tracks for our one year Fellowship in Regional Anesthesiology.
- Our newly accredited ACGME Regional Anesthesiology and Acute Pain Fellowship is a 12 month position and will follow all ACGME program requirements for clinical training, didactics, and research. This track is hired as a PGY 5 housestaff employee through UVA GME. (See application process below)
- Our non-accredited Regional Clinical Instructor is also a 12 month position and typically works one to two days per week as an OR generalist and focusing on advanced regional training and education the remainder of the week. Opportunities exist within the division for research and educational offerings throughout the department. This track is hired through the UVA Anesthesiology Department as junior faculty. (See application process below)
We have currently filled both our non-accredited Regional Clinical Instructorships and our ACGME Regional Anesthesiology and Acute Pain Fellow positions for the 2020-21 cycle. We have begun reviewing applications for potentially two non-accredited Regional Clinical Instructorships and two ACGME Regional Anesthesiology and Acute Pain Fellows for the 2021-2022 cycle.
Current University policy requires all applicants to be Board Eligible, which requires completion of an ACGME accredited anesthesiology residency program.
For both tracks, accredited and non-accredited, the application process begins with the ASRA Common app found on their website. Please send application and supporting documents (outlined below) to:
email@example.com; and include “Regional Fellow applicant” in the subject heading.
- 2 letters of reference
- personal statement of interest (specifying accredited or non-accredited)
- 3 references with contact information (word document)
- USMLE scores (copies accepted)
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and selected candidates will be invited to Charlottesville for a day of interviews. Our interviews typically run from late January until all positions have been filled. These fellowships follow the typical academic cycle from July 1 to June 30. Though August start dates are acceptable if approved by the Program Director in advance.
For more information about the regional fellowship, please contact Ashley M. Shilling, M.D., Director of the UVA Regional Fellowship or Brett J. Elmore, M.D., Associate Program Director of the UVA Regional Fellowship.
If you have questions or want to check the status of your application, please contact: