Other Global Health Activities
Our Department participates in several ongoing global health initiatives:
Unfortunately during COVID, most of the Medical Mission Trips were canceled as institutions and organizations could not travel.
- Human Resources for Health
- Together with the Department of Surgery, we participate in a very large-scale training program in Rwanda that sends teaching faculty for longer periods of time, in order to help build capacity. Residents can participate in a 2-week clinical anesthesia rotation or a longer 4-week education rotation, where they will teach healthcare workers in Rwanda.
- Other Faculty Activities
- We have a collaborative effort in Laos with the Midwest Spine Institute
- We partner with UVA Plastic Surgery on trips to India
- We have a partnership through Operation Smile in Jimma, Ethiopia