MobileIron is a Mobile Device Manger (MDM) and form of Virtual Private Network (VPN) that can be installed on smartphones and tablets to facilitate access to Health System Technology Services (HSCS) email and some clinical applications (EPIC and PACS). Installing it on your mobile device will also provide an automatic connection to the UVa clinical WiFi network (hscs-wireless) in the hospital and clinics.
Using an MDM like MobileIron does adjust some security settings and imposes certain constraints on your phone/tablet that you should be aware of:
- MobileIron requires your device have a 6 digit passcode with a timeout for inactivity.
- You must change your device passcode every 60 days.
- MobileIron encrypts Health System data on your device .
- MobileIron Device Manager allows Health System IT to purge your device of Health System/Medical Center data (not your personal data, contacts, etc.). This is only done in isolated cases as needed. For example, the loss or theft of the device, withdrawal from medical school, etc.
- Install the software on your mobile device from the iOS App Store or Android App Store.
- User ID/Password are the same ones you use for HealthSystem Email
- When configuring, the server name is “mdm.healthsystem.virginia.edu”
The installation does include additional applications to facilitate connectivity to Health System resources like EPIC, PACS, f5 Edge Client, etc.
For the curious among you, more information is available: http://www.medicalcenter.virginia.edu/mobile-device-setup
The HIT Help Desk is your best resource for working through individual problems with MobileIron. Their contact information for the HIT Help Desk is below: