General Surgery Applications
The Department of Surgery at the University of Virginia is nationally recognized as a top tier academic training program, attracting the nation’s premier surgical candidates. This department has a long and accomplished history in training future leaders of academic surgery. Graduates of our program are consistently accepted into excellent fellowship programs of their choice. Dedication to excellence in surgery and surgical resident education defines our vision for the future.
Our program’s foundation is deeply rooted in its faculty and their commitment to resident training. We have had only six Chairman of the Department of Surgery in our program’s history, including two previous Presidents of the American College of Surgeons. Our faculty are nationally and internationally recognized leaders in their fields, many of whom also operate NIH funded research labs and serve on the editorial boards of leading surgical journals. Dedicated to superior resident mentorship, our faculty provides a supportive and stimulating environment from which our residents thrive.
Here at UVA, we are dedicated to continuing our commitment to excellence in clinical surgery, teaching, and surgical research. We hope that you will consider applying to our program and joining us in this mission.
Positions and Codes
Our General Surgery Residency Program offers three training opportunities:
- Categorical General Surgery (NRMP Code 1737440C0): 5-year training position in General Surgery, leading to board eligibility by the American Board of Surgery. In addition to clinical training, categorical residents in this program traditionally perform two years of dedicated research in either basic and/or clinical sciences. Dedicated research is usually conducted between the PGY2 and PGY3 clinical years.
- Surg-Prelim/Int Radiology (NRMP Code 1737440P3): 1 year General Surgery training position. This is a Joint Advanced- Preliminary track between Interventional Radiology-Integrated and General Surgery at the UVA Medical Center. For Interventional Radiology-Integrated Residency applicants who wish to pursue the full course of training at the UVA Medical Center must rank the UVA General Surgery joint preliminary PGY-1 program on the supplemental rank order list.
- Surgery – Preliminary (NRMP Code 1737440P1): 1 year General Surgery training position intended for individuals who have matched into a specialty that require a preliminary year, as well as non-designated individuals. A limited number of these positions are available and are offered as one-year employment contracts. Although our residency office will assist with placement following the intern year if needed, it is ultimately the responsibility of each non-designated preliminary surgery resident to make arrangements for continued residency training and education.
General Surgery applications are accepted through Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS AAMC). In addition to a completed application, please include a minimum of two letters of recommendation, USMLE and medical school transcripts, personal statement and a Dean’s letter. All completed applications and supporting documents must be received no later than October 31.
Interviews will be conducted on select dates in November, December and January. Interviews will be virtual for the 2022-2023 recruitment season. All candidates selected for interviews will be invited to a virtual social reception with current UVA residents on the evening prior to their scheduled interview.
2022 – 2023 Recruitment Dates
- Wednesday, November 16, 2022
- Tuesday, December 13, 2022
- Wednesday, December 21, 2022
- Thursday, January 12, 2023