Applying to Our Program
PLEASE NOTE: The Deadline for Applications into ERAS is DECEMBER 30, 2019. We start reviewing applications OCTOBER 1, 2019. We extend interviews until JANUARY 2020.
Minimum Criteria for Consideration for Interview. We only accept applications through ERAS. We do not preview applications online or before the interview season. We do not participate in a pre-match. We offer J-1 Visas only; eligibility for this type of Visa is required. We do not offer Observerships or Externships.
Graduation from Medical School
- Medical School Accredited (LCME or ECFMG)
- ECFMG Certification for International Grads (Must have a currently valid certificate from the ECFMG prior to appointment) OR have a full and unrestricted license to practice in a US licensing jurisdiction
- Graduation no longer than 4 years prior to start of residency OR current enrollment or recent completion of an international Family Medicine or GP residency that includes rotations in family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics and obstetrics, OR Current enrollment in an ACGME or AOA accredited residency program.
- We allow one failure on USMLE Step 1 and no failures on USMLE Step 2 (CK) and an average score greater than 205.
- Passed USMLE Step 2 CS without failure prior to applying (required before appointment).
- If taken, passed USMLE Step 3, without failure
- USMLE Transcript
- Must have at least two clinical rotations in the US with LOR from both rotations.
- At least two LOR
- Completed Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- Appropriate work status (or eligibility) through USCIS (INS)
We are participating in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and will only accept applications through that service. The ERAS website lists twelve steps which could serve as a guideline throughout your application process. Once we have received your complete application, we will consider all information provided in our review process.
We will interview from late October through mid January on Mondays and Fridays. We offer lodging for one night. Virtual FMIG offers great advice on the residency interview experience.
Promoting Diversity at UVA
Diversity Days – Sponsored by the GME Office and Housestaff Council for Diversity and Inclusion. Offered throughout the duration of recruitment for applicants who’ve been invited to interview here at UVA, in addition to the interview day. An opportunity for applicants to learn more about training programs at UVA and living in the city.
We look forward to reviewing your residency application!