Applying to Our Program
PLEASE NOTE: The Deadline for Applications into ERAS is DECEMBER 1, 2022. We begin reviewing applications SEPTEMBER 28, 2022, and begin inviting applicants no later than OCTOBER 28, 2022. We will begin interviews on either Friday, October 28th or Monday, October 31st. We plan to interview on Monday and Friday mornings in November, December and January. All interviews will be virtual.
Minimum Criteria for Consideration for Interview. We only accept applications through ERAS. We do not preview applications online or before the interview season. We do not participate in a pre-match. We offer J-1 Visas only; eligibility for this type of Visa is required. We do not offer Observerships or Externships.
Graduation from Medical School
- Medical School Accredited (LCME or ECFMG)
- ECFMG Certification for International Grads (Must have a currently valid certificate from the ECFMG prior to appointment) OR have a full and unrestricted license to practice in a US licensing jurisdiction
- Graduation no longer than 4 years prior to start of residency OR current enrollment or recent completion of an international Family Medicine or GP residency that includes rotations in family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics and obstetrics, OR Current enrollment in an ACGME or AOA accredited residency program.
- This year we understand that some applicants may not have the chance to take Step 2, or have not yet received scores. We will review applications and offer invitations without a Step 2 score this year.
- We allow one failure on USMLE Step 1 and no failures on USMLE Step 2 (CK) and an average score greater than 205.
- Passed USMLE Step 2 CS without failure prior to applying (required before appointment).
- If taken, passed USMLE Step 3, without failure
- USMLE Transcript
- Must have at least two clinical rotations in the US with LOR from both rotations.
- At least two LOR
- Completed Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- Appropriate work status (or eligibility) through USCIS (INS)
We are participating in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and will only accept applications through that service. The ERAS website lists twelve steps which could serve as a guideline throughout your application process. Once we have received your complete application, we will consider all information provided in our review process.
All interviews will be virtual this year. We will offer a group virtual gathering with our residents the evening before interviews. Interviews will occur in the morning.
Promoting Diversity at UVA
Trainee Diversity & Inclusion Conference – The GME department works closely with UVA faculty and the Housestaff Council for Diversity and Inclusion to stimulate meaningful conversations about race, privilege and representation in our community. The host a Diversity and Inclusion conference annually.
We look forward to reviewing your residency application!