James H. Moak, MD, RDMS
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine
Director, Clinical Professional Development
Director, Medical Student Clerkship
Director, UVA-Guatemala Initiative
P.O. Box 800699
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0699
Phone: (434) 924-8485
Fax: (434) 924-2877
Recipient of the 2020 Robley Dunglison Award from the School of Medicine. Previously received in 2018 as well.
- Residency, Emergency Medicine, Alameda County Medical Center (2003)
- M.D., University of Mississippi (1999)
- B.A., History, Yale University (1989)
Clinical and Research Interests
- Resident and medical student education
- Diagnostic emergency ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided vascular access
- Evidence based medicine
- Clinical decision-making
- Thom C, Kongkatong M, Moak J. The Utility of Transvaginal Ultrasound After Intrauterine Pregnancy Identification on Transabdominal Ultrasound in Emergency Department Patients. Open Access Emerg Med. 2023 May 29;15:207-216. doi: 10.2147/OAEM.S409920. PMID: 37274422; PMCID: PMC10237201.
- Kongkatong, M., Patel, M., Thom, C., & Moak, J. (2022). Fatal Abdominal Compartment Syndrome Due to Constipation: A Case Report. Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine. Retrieved from https://escholarship.org/uc/item/8mb5z8x2
- Smith ME, Moak JH. Asymptomatic ventricular fibrillation in continuous flow left-ventricular assist device. Am J Emerg Med. 2021 Nov;49:130-132. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2021.05.065. Epub 2021 May 29. PMID: 34102458.
- Thom C, Pozner J, Kongkatong M, Moak J. Ultrasound-Guided Talonavicular Arthrocentesis. J Emerg Med. 2021 May;60(5):633-636. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2020.12.019. Epub 2021 Jan 28. PMID: 33516576.
- Christopher Thom MD, RDMS, Jonathan Pozner MD, Matthew Kongkatong MD, James Moak MD, RDMS. Ultrasound-Guided Talonavicular Arthrocentesis. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2020.12.019 [Article in Press]
- Thom C, Ahmed A, Kongkatong M, Moak J. Point-of-care hip ultrasound leads to expedited results in emergency department patients with suspected septic arthritis. J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open. 2020 Jun 30;1(4):512-520.