James H. Moak, MD, RDMS
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine
Director, Clinical Professional Development
Director, Medical Student Clerkship
Director, UVA-Guatemala Initiative
Director, Emergency Ultrasound Fellowship
P.O. Box 800699
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0699
Phone: (434) 924-8485
Fax: (434) 924-2877
2020 Recipient of the Robley Dunglison Award from the School of Medicine
- Residency, Emergency Medicine, Alameda County Medical Center (2003)
- M.D., University of Mississippi (1999)
- B.A., History, Yale University (1989)
Clinical and Research Interests
- Resident and medical student education
- Diagnostic emergency ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided vascular access
- Evidence based medicine
- Clinical decision-making
- Chair, SAEM Ultrasound Interest Group, 2009-10
- Chair, SAEM Ultrasound Interest Group Fellowship Committee, 2010-11
- Member, ACEP Ultrasound Section Fellowship Curriculum Committee, 2011-Present
- Elected Member, Executive Board for Ultrasound Fellowship Website (eusfellowships.com), 2011-present
- Thom C, Ahmed A, Kongkatong M, Moak J. Point-of-care hip ultrasound leads to expedited results in emergency department patients with suspected septic arthritis. J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open. 2020 Jun 30;1(4):512-520.
- Thom CD, Eisentat M, Moak JH. Point-of-care ultrasound identifies urinoma complicating simple renal colic: a case series and literature review. J Emerg Med. 2018.
- Stone J, Moak JH. Feasibility of sonographic localization of the inferior epigastric artery prior to ultrasound-guided paracentesis. Am J Emer Med 33(12):1795-1798, 2015.
- Rushton, WF, Vakkalanka JP, Moak JH, Charlton NP. Negative predictive value of excluding an embedded snake foreign body by ultrasonography. Wilderness Environ Med 26(2):227-31, 2015.
- Moak JH, Larese SR, Riordan JP, Sudhir A, Yan G. Training in Transvaginal Sonography Using Pelvic Ultrasound Simulators Versus Live Models: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Acad Med 89(7):1063-1068, 2014.
- Lewiss R, Tayal V, Hoffman B, Kendall J, Liteplo A, Moak JH, Panebianco N, Noble V. The Core Content of Clinical Ultrasonography Fellowship Training. Acad Emer Med 21(4):456-461, 2014.