Thomas R. Hartka, MD
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Assistant Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Assistant Director, Emergency Medicine Research Office
Assistant Medical Director, UVA Center for Applied Biomechanics
P.O. Box 800699
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0699
- Fellowship – Trauma Research; University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- MD – University of Virginia; Charlottesville, VA
- MS – Computer Engineering; Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University,
- BS – Computer Engineering; Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University,
Clinical and Research Interests
- Blunt Force Thoracic Trauma
- Radiographic Interpretation of Injury and Accident Reconstruction
- Motor Vehicle Crash Occupant Kinematics during Collisions
- Pre-hospital Patient Care and Triage
- Pre-hospital provider education
- Mobile computing for medical education
- High-fidelity simulation
Most Recent Publications
- Comparison of visual and CT 3D reconstructed abdominal seatbelt sign locations. Short communication. Association of the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Munich, Germany. October 2014.
- Comparison of AIS 1990 update 98 versus AIS 2005 for describing living subject injuries from rollover collisions in the CIREN database. Short communication. Association of the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Munich, Germany. October 2014.
- Effectiveness and Perception of an Intensive Emergency Procedures Elective for Fourth-Year Medical Students. XXVII Panamerican Trauma Congress. Panama City, Panama. November 13, 2014.
- Analysis of Injury Severity Associated With Pattern And Location Of Seatbelt Induced External Injury. Society of Academy Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting. Lightning Abstract Presentation. May 17, 2014.
- GFAP mutations, age at onset, and clinical subtypes in Alexander disease. 2011. Sep 27; 77(13):1287-94.