Thomas R. Hartka, MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Assistant Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Assistant Director, Emergency Medicine Research Office
Assistant Medical Director, UVA Center for Applied Biomechanics
Medical Examiner, Jurisdiction: City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
P.O. Box 800699
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0699
- M.D.S., Data Science, University of Virginia (in progress)
- Trauma Biomechanics Fellowship, University of Virginia (2014)
- Residency, Emergency Medicine, University of Virginia (2013)
- M.D., University of Virginia (2010)
- Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program, John Hopkins University (2005)
- M.S., Computer Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (2004)
- B.S., Computer Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (2002)
Clinical and Research Interests
- Blunt Force Thoracic Trauma
- Radiographic Interpretation of Injury and Accident Reconstruction
- Motor Vehicle Crash Occupant Kinematics during Collisions
- Pre-hospital Patient Care and Triage
- Pre-hospital provider education
- Mobile computing for medical education
- High-fidelity simulation
2021-2022: Novel deep learning strategy to translate ICD Codes to the Abbreviated Injury Scale. National Center For Advancing Translational Sciences of the National Institutes of Health.
Role: Principal Investigator – Thomas R. Hartka, MD, MS
- Remington WD, Ott BC, Hartka TR. Effectiveness of barrier devices, high-volume evacuators, and extraoral suction devices on reducing dental aerosols for the dental operator: A pilot study. J Am Dent Assoc. 2021 Dec 21:S0002-8177(21)00546-8. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2021.08.011. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34952682.
- Thomas R. Hartka, Timothy McMurry, Ashely Weaver & Federico E. Vaca (2021): Development of a concise injury severity prediction model for pediatric patients involved in a motor vehicle collision, Traffic Injury Prevention, DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2021.1975275
- Makonnen, T. Hartka, H. Sadatsafavi, 86 Comparison of Mortality in Emergency Department Patients With Immediate versus Delayed Hypotension, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Volume 78, Issue 4, Supplement, 2021, Pages S34-S35, ISSN 0196-0644, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2021.09.095 (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196064421009367)
- Schieffer S, Costa C, Hartka T, Stitzel JD, Shayn Martin R, Kiani B, Miller AN, Weaver AA. The relationship of body mass index, belt placement, and abdominopelvic injuries in motor vehicle crashes: A Crash Injury Research and Engineering Network (CIREN) study. Traffic Inj Prev. 2021 Oct 18:1-3. doi: 10.1080/15389588.2021.1982596. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34663141.
- Malik A, Patel P, Ehsan L, Guleria S, Hartka T, Adewole S, et al. (2021) Ten simple rules for engaging with artificial intelligence in biomedicine. PLoS Comput Biol 17(2): e1008531. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1008531
- Hartka T, Vaca FE. Factors associated with EMS transport decisions for pediatric patients after motor vehicle collisions. Traffic Inj Prev. 2020 Oct 29:1-6. doi: 10.1080/15389588.2020.1830382. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33119415.
- Glass G, Hartka TR, Keim-Malpass J, Enfield KB, Clark MT. Dynamic data in the ED predict requirement for ICU transfer following acute care admission [published online ahead of print, 2020 Mar 19]. J Clin Monit Comput. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10877-020-00500-3