William J. Brady, MD
Professor of Emergency Medicine, Medicine, & Nursing
Vice-Chair for Faculty Affairs, Department of Emergency Medicine
The David A. Harrison Distinguished Educator
Chair, UVAHS Resuscitation Committee
Co-Chair, UVAHS Airway Committee
Medical Director, Emergency Management
Medical Director, Life Support Learning Center
Operational Medical Director, Albemarle County Fire Rescue, Madison County EMS, Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Department, and Special Event Medical Management
Associate Editor, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine
P.O. Box 800699
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0699
Phone: (434) 924-8485
Fax: (434) 924-2877
- Chief Resident, Emergency Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin (1994)
- Residency, Emergency Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin (1994)
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia (1991)
- MD, Medical College of Virginia (1988)
- BA, History, University of Virginia (1984)
Clinical and Research Interests
- Emergency Medicine
- Emergency Medical Systems
- Emergency Preparedness
- Large Event and Disaster Medicine
- Brit Long, William J. Brady, Alin Gragossian, Alex Koyfman, Michael Gottlieb, A primer for managing cardiac transplant patients in the emergency department setting, Am J Emerg Med. Volume 41, 2021, Pages 130-138, ISSN 0735-6757, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2020.12.071.
- Lauren E. Powell, BA, William J. Brady, MD, Robert C. Reiser, MD, Daniel J. Beckett, MBChB. A comparison of in-hospital cardiac arrests between a United States and United Kingdom hospital. Am J of Emerg Med. 43 (2021) 7–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2021.01.005
- Ramzy M, Montrief T, Gottlieb M, Brady WJ, Singh M, Long B. COVID-19 cardiac arrest management: A review for emergency clinicians. Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Dec;38(12):2693-2702. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2020.08.011. Epub 2020 Aug 17. PMID: 33041141; PMCID: PMC7430285.
- Long B, Brady WJ, Bridwell RE, Ramzy M, Montrief T, Singh M, Gottlieb M. Electrocardiographic manifestations of COVID-19. Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Dec 29;41:96-103. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2020.12.060. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33412365; PMCID: PMC7771377.
- Mark Ramzy, DO, Tim Montrief, MD, MPH, Michael Gottlieb,MD, William J. Brady, MD, Manpreet Singh, MD, Brit Long, MD COVID-19 cardiac arrest management: A review for emergency clinicians. American Journal of Emergency Medicine 38 (2020) 2693–2702
- Troyer L, Brady W. Barriers to effective EMS to emergency department information transfer at patient handover: A systematic review. Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Apr 15. pii: S0735-6757(20)30265-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2020.04.036. [Epub ahead of print]
- Long B, Brady WJ, Koyfman A, Gottlieb M. Cardiovascular complications in COVID-19. Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Apr 18. pii: S0735-6757(20)30277-1. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2020.04.048. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brady WJ, Mattu A, Slovis CM. Lay Responder Care for the Adult Victim of Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Reply. N Engl J Med. 2020 Mar 26;382(13):e24. doi: 10.1056/NEJMc2000808. No abstract available.
- Kwak J, Brady WJ. The safety and efficacy of hands-on defibrillation in the management of adult cardiac arrest: A systematic review. Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Feb 14. pii: S0735-6757(20)30093-0. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2020.02.020. [Epub ahead of print]