Matthew J. Trowbridge, MD, MPH
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine and Public Health
Associate Research Director, Department of Emergency Medicine
P.O. Box 800699
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0699
Phone: (434) 924-8488
Fax: (434) 924-2877
- B.A., Tufts University (1994)
- M.D., Emory University School of Medicine (2000)
- Masters of Public Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University (2000)
- Residency, General Pediatrics, Tufts University School of Medicine (2003)
- Fellowship, Injury Research, University of Michigan (2007)
- Residency, Preventive Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine (2010)
- Preventive Medicine – Impact of the built environment (architecture, urban design, and transportation planning) on individual (clinical) and population-level health outcomes.
- Medical Education – Use of human-centered design / design thinking to teach complex problem solving, systems-thinking, and inter-disciplinary collaboration within undergraduate medical education.
- University of Virginia Medical Design Program
- Co-Director, Lead Instructor – One-year design thinking / human-centered elective for medical students at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. Project website: http://uvamedical.design
- Green Building & Public Health Innovation Partnership
- Principal Investigator – Applied research partnership between the University of Virginia School of Medicine (UVA) and the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. This partnership is focused on applying the market transformation tools and principles used within the green building industry to improve health outcomes by influencing the design, operation, and financing of the built environment at a national and global scale. Project website: http://www.greenhealthpartnership.org
- Trowbridge MJ*, Worden K, Pyke C. Using Green Building As A Model For Making Health Promotion Standard In The Built Environment. Health Affairs. 2016: 35(11) pp. 2062-67.
- Roberts JP, Fisher TR, Trowbridge M, Bent C. A Design Thinking Framework For Healthcare Management And Innovation. Healthcare. 2016: 4(1) pp. 11-14.
- Trowbridge MJ*, Pickell S, Pyke C, Jutte D. Building Healthy Communities: Establishing Health and Wellness Metrics for Use Within the Real Estate Industry. Health Affairs. 2014: 33:11; 1923-1929.
- Trowbridge MJ*, Huang T-T K, Botchwey N, Pyke C, Fisher T, Ballard-Barbash. Public Health and the Green Building Industry: Partnership Opportunities For Childhood Obesity Prevention. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2013 May; 44(5):489-95.
- Trowbridge MJ*, Gurka MJ, O’Connor, RE. Urban Sprawl and Delayed Ambulance Arrival in the United States. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2009 Nov; 37(5): 428-32.
- Trowbridge MJ*, McDonald N. Urban Sprawl and Daily Miles Driven by Teenagers in the United States. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2008 Mar; 34(3): 202-6.