David E. Bruns, M.D.
Professor Emeritus of Pathology
Medical School: St. Louis University, MD, 1973
Residency and Fellowship: Departments of Pathology and Internal Medicine, Washington University, 1973-1977
Clinical chemistry and molecular diagnostics.
- Quality requirements for medical tests
- Harmonization of laboratory tests
- Bruns DE, Ashwood ER, Burtis CA, eds. Fundamentals of Molecular Diagnostics. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2007.
- Burtis CA, Ashwood ER, Bruns DE, eds. Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, 5th ed., St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2012.
- Burtis CA, Bruns DE, eds. Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics. 7th ed. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2015
- Bruns DE, Metzger BE, Sacks DB. Diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus will be flawed until we can measure glucose. Clin Chem 2020;66:265-7.
- Sun Q, Welsh KJ, Bruns DE, Sacks DB, Zhao Z. Inadequate reporting of analytical characteristics of biomarkers used in clinical research: a threat to interpretation and replication of study findings. Clin Chem 2019;65:1554-62.
- Bachmann LM, Yu M, Boyd JC, Bruns DE, Miller WG. State of harmonization of 24 serum albumin measurement procedures and implications for medical decisions. Clin Chem 2017;63:770-9.
- Yu M, Bruns DE, Jane JA Jr, Nass RM, Oldfield EH, Vance ML, Thorner MO. Decrease of serum IGF-I following transsphenoidal pituitary surgery for acromegaly. Clin Chem 2017;63:486-94.
- Cohen JF, Korevaar DA, Altman DG, Bruns DE, Gatsonis CA, Hooft L, Irwig L, Levine D, Reitsma JB, de Vet HCW, Bossuyt PMM. STARD 2015 guidelines for reporting diagnostic accuracy studies: explanation and elaboration. BMJ Open 2016 Nov 14;6(11):e012799.
- Bossuyt PM, Reitsma JB, Bruns DE, Gatsonis CA, Glasziou PP, Irwig L, Lijmer JG, Moher D, Rennie D, deVet HCW, Kressel HY, Rifai N, Golub RM, Altman DG, Hooft L, Korevaar DA, Cohen JF. STARD 2015 – An updated list of essential items for reporting diagnostic accuracy studies. BMJ 2015;351:h5527; Clin Chem 2015;61:1446-52; Radiology 2015;277:826-32
- Bruns DE, Burtis CA, Gronowski AM, McQueen MJ, Newman A, Jonsson JJ: Variability of ethics education in laboratory medicine training programs: results of an international survey. Clin Chim Acta 2015, 442:115-118.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25437910. DOI: 10.1016/j.cca.2014.11.023.
- Krinsley JS, Bruns DE, Boyd JC: The impact of measurement frequency on the domains of glycemic control in the critically ill–a Monte Carlo simulation. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2015, 9:237-245.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25568143. DOI: 10.1177/1932296814566507.
- Boyd JC, Bruns DE: Performance requirements for glucose assays in intensive care units. Clin Chem 2014, 60:1463-1465. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25332312. DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2014.231258.
- Kelly BN, Haverstick DM, Lee JK, Thorner MO, Vance ML, Xin W, Bruns DE: Circulating microRNA as a biomarker of human growth hormone administration to patients. Drug Test Anal 2014, 6:234-238.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23495241. DOI: 10.1002/dta.1469.
- Wendroth SM, Heady TN, Haverstick DM, Bachmann LM, Scott MG, Boyd JC, Bruns DE: Falsely increased chloride and missed anion gap elevation during treatment with sodium thiosulfate. Clin Chim Acta 2014, 431:77-79. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24508994. DOI: 10.1016/j.cca.2014.01.020.
- Boyd JC, Bruns DE: Effects of measurement frequency on analytical quality required for glucose measurements in intensive care units: assessments by simulation models. Clin Chem 2014, 60:644-650.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24430017. DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2013.216366.
- Algeciras-Schimnich A, Bruns DE, Boyd JC, Bryant SC, La Fortune KA, Grebe SK: Failure of current laboratory protocols to detect lot-to-lot reagent differences: findings and possible solutions. Clin Chem 2013, 59:1187-1194. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23592508. DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2013.205070.
- Bachmann LM, Nilsson G, Bruns DE, McQueen MJ, Lieske JC, Zakowski JJ, Miller WG: State of the art for measurement of urine albumin: comparison of routine measurement procedures to isotope dilution tandem mass spectrometry. Clin Chem 2014, 60:471-480. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24281781. DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2013.210302.
- Bruns DE: Are fluoride-containing blood tubes still needed for glucose testing? Clin Biochem 2013, 46:289-290.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23415485. DOI: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2013.01.009.
- Gambino R, Bruns DE: Stabilization of glucose in blood samples: out with the old, in with the new. Clin Chem Lab Med 2013, 51:1883-1885. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24072572. DOI: 10.1515/cclm-2013-0341.
- McCudden CR, Senior BA, Hainsworth S, Oliveira W, Silverman LM, Bruns DE, Hammett-Stabler C: Evaluation of high resolution gel Î²(2)-transferrin for detection of cerebrospinal fluid leak. Clin Chem Lab Med 2013, 51:311-315. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23023885. DOI: 10.1515/cclm-2012-0408.
- Mitsios JV, Ashby LA, Haverstick DM, Bruns DE, Scott MG: Analytic evaluation of a new glucose meter system in 15 different critical care settings. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2013, 7:1282-1287.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24124955.
SELECTED INVITED LECTURES
- Bruns DE. 25 Years of Laboratory Medicine: What Has Changed, What Is Changing? Keynote Address, 25th International Conference on Laboratory Medicine. Padua, Italy, October 30, 2018.
- Bruns DE. Emerging Biomarkers: Will Any of these Be Used in Patient Care in 2027? Biomarkers in Diabetes. IFCC Satellite Meeting, Cape Town, South Africa. October 26, 2017.
- Bruns DE. How Accurate Do Glucose Meters Need To Be? Biomarkers in Diabetes. IFCC Satellite Meeting, Cape Town, South Africa. October 26, 2017.
- Bruns DE. Optimal Glucose Monitoring. 31st International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Brussels, March 22-25, 2011.Bruns DE. Are glucose meters up to the task of TGC? 2011 Arnold O. Beckman Conference. San Diego, April 12-13, 2011.
- Bruns DE, Boyd JC. POCT Glucose measurement and its limitations. 21st International Congress of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. Berlin, May 15-20, 2011.
- Bruns DE. Accuracy requirements for glucose assays used to support intensive insulin therapy. Diabetes Diagnostics. Zwolle, The Netherlands, September 20, 2011.
- Bruns DE. Glucose Measurements in Critical Care. 32nd International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Brussels, March 22-23, 2012.
- Bruns DE. Labomas. Endocrine Grand Rounds, University of Virginia School of Medicine. October 16, 2012.
- Bruns DE. Directions in Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. Opening Plenary Lecture. IFCC General Conference. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. November 17-20, 2012.
- Bruns DE. Desirable performance for point-of-care glucose measurements in hospital settings. EUROMEDLAB Milano. 20th IFCC-EFCC European Congress of Laboratory Medicine. 45th Congress of the Italian Society of Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Molecular Biology. Milan, Italy. May 19-23, 2013.
- Bruns DE. Hemoglobin A1c as a Diagnostic Tool – Requirements. Latin-American Congress of Clinical Biochemistry. Lima, Peru. October 29-31, 2013.
- Bruns DE. Desirable analytical performance of continuous glucose monitors. IFCC WORLDLAB Congress, International Federation of Clinical Chemistry. Istanbul, June 22-26, 2014.
A current list of Dr. Bruns’ peer-reviewed publications is available from PubMed.