David E. Bruns, M.D.
Professor Emeritus of Pathology
Medical School: St. Louis University, MD, 1973
Residency and Fellowship: Departments of Pathology and Internal Medicine, Washington University, 1973-1977
Clinical chemistry and molecular diagnostics.
- Quality requirements for medical tests
- Harmonization of laboratory tests
- Bruns DE, Ashwood ER, Burtis CA, eds. Fundamentals of Molecular Diagnostics. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2007.
- Burtis CA, Ashwood ER, Bruns DE, eds. Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, 5th ed., St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2012.
- Burtis CA, Bruns DE, eds. Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics. 7th ed. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2015
- Bruns DE, Burtis CA, Gronowski AM, McQueen MJ, Newman A, Jonsson JJ: Variability of ethics education in laboratory medicine training programs: results of an international survey. Clin Chim Acta 2015, 442:115-118.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25437910. DOI: 10.1016/j.cca.2014.11.023.
- Krinsley JS, Bruns DE, Boyd JC: The impact of measurement frequency on the domains of glycemic control in the critically ill–a Monte Carlo simulation. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2015, 9:237-245.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25568143. DOI: 10.1177/1932296814566507.
- Boyd JC, Bruns DE: Performance requirements for glucose assays in intensive care units. Clin Chem 2014, 60:1463-1465. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25332312. DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2014.231258.
- Kelly BN, Haverstick DM, Lee JK, Thorner MO, Vance ML, Xin W, Bruns DE: Circulating microRNA as a biomarker of human growth hormone administration to patients. Drug Test Anal 2014, 6:234-238.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23495241. DOI: 10.1002/dta.1469.
- Wendroth SM, Heady TN, Haverstick DM, Bachmann LM, Scott MG, Boyd JC, Bruns DE: Falsely increased chloride and missed anion gap elevation during treatment with sodium thiosulfate. Clin Chim Acta 2014, 431:77-79. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24508994. DOI: 10.1016/j.cca.2014.01.020.
- Boyd JC, Bruns DE: Effects of measurement frequency on analytical quality required for glucose measurements in intensive care units: assessments by simulation models. Clin Chem 2014, 60:644-650.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24430017. DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2013.216366.
- Algeciras-Schimnich A, Bruns DE, Boyd JC, Bryant SC, La Fortune KA, Grebe SK: Failure of current laboratory protocols to detect lot-to-lot reagent differences: findings and possible solutions. Clin Chem 2013, 59:1187-1194. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23592508. DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2013.205070.
- Bachmann LM, Nilsson G, Bruns DE, McQueen MJ, Lieske JC, Zakowski JJ, Miller WG: State of the art for measurement of urine albumin: comparison of routine measurement procedures to isotope dilution tandem mass spectrometry. Clin Chem 2014, 60:471-480. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24281781. DOI: 10.1373/clinchem.2013.210302.
- Bruns DE: Are fluoride-containing blood tubes still needed for glucose testing? Clin Biochem 2013, 46:289-290.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23415485. DOI: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2013.01.009.
- Gambino R, Bruns DE: Stabilization of glucose in blood samples: out with the old, in with the new. Clin Chem Lab Med 2013, 51:1883-1885. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24072572. DOI: 10.1515/cclm-2013-0341.
- McCudden CR, Senior BA, Hainsworth S, Oliveira W, Silverman LM, Bruns DE, Hammett-Stabler C: Evaluation of high resolution gel Î²(2)-transferrin for detection of cerebrospinal fluid leak. Clin Chem Lab Med 2013, 51:311-315. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23023885. DOI: 10.1515/cclm-2012-0408.
- Mitsios JV, Ashby LA, Haverstick DM, Bruns DE, Scott MG: Analytic evaluation of a new glucose meter system in 15 different critical care settings. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2013, 7:1282-1287.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24124955.
SELECTED INVITED LECTURES
- Bruns DE. Optimal Glucose Monitoring. 31st International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Brussels, March 22-25, 2011.Bruns DE. Are glucose meters up to the task of TGC? 2011 Arnold O. Beckman Conference. San Diego, April 12-13, 2011.
- Bruns DE, Boyd JC. POCT Glucose measurement and its limitations. 21st International Congress of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. Berlin, May 15-20, 2011.
- Bruns DE. Accuracy requirements for glucose assays used to support intensive insulin therapy. Diabetes Diagnostics. Zwolle, The Netherlands, September 20, 2011.
- Bruns DE. Glucose Measurements in Critical Care. 32nd International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Brussels, March 22-23, 2012.
- Bruns DE. Labomas. Endocrine Grand Rounds, University of Virginia School of Medicine. October 16, 2012.
- Bruns DE. Directions in Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. Opening Plenary Lecture. IFCC General Conference. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. November 17-20, 2012.
- Bruns DE. Desirable performance for point-of-care glucose measurements in hospital settings. EUROMEDLAB Milano. 20th IFCC-EFCC European Congress of Laboratory Medicine. 45th Congress of the Italian Society of Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Molecular Biology. Milan, Italy. May 19-23, 2013.
- Bruns DE. Hemoglobin A1c as a Diagnostic Tool – Requirements. Latin-American Congress of Clinical Biochemistry. Lima, Peru. October 29-31, 2013.
- Bruns DE. Desirable analytical performance of continuous glucose monitors. IFCC WORLDLAB Congress, International Federation of Clinical Chemistry. Istanbul, June 22-26, 2014.
A current list of Dr. Bruns’ peer-reviewed publications is available from PubMed.